Wednesday 15 January 2014

LMO sorted.

As previous readers of the blog will already know, I worked for Watt and Stewart on a one year contract last time I was in Canada with Cath, and we only came back because of our Granddaughter, but since working away in France last year Cath is willing to come over to Canada with me again for a couple of years at least, all being well.

I applied for a job with Watt & Stewart again and was offered an LMO (Labour Market Opinion) as, despite his advertising they are failing to get many new Canadian Long Haul drivers , so the Government are willing to issue the LMO's which allow the import of foreign drivers.

This does not mean that anyone from Europe can just walk in and start working in Canada as a driver. You will need to already have a class one licence which allows you to drive large articulated vehicles, and, on arrival in Canada with a job offer you will be expected to train for, and pass the Canadian equivalent Class 1 licence, you may also be required to provide a Police clearance certificate.

Having passed the Canadian test in 2008 I am entitled to hold the licence, so I will only need to pass a medical and drugs test to renew my licence and get on the road again after I arrive.

The written job offer and the LMO is used on arrival to request a Temporary Work Permit (TWP) from the Canadian Immigration desk.

Wolfman, Cath and The Wee Hermit  having a small beer in the Lethbridge Lodge in 2008
Hopefully I won't be too long before I am 'down the road', but I would like to catch up with mates first, and I will probably have a few days orientation with the company before driving off into the sunset.

Welcome aboard to old and new readers, and don't forget to check out the other trucking (and music) blogs in the right hand side bar. I would also welcome suggestions of other blogs to add on as I have lost track a little, but hopefully will be putting less on Facebook and more on here in the future.

No comments: